canberrabirds

out of area - Tarcutta / Mates Gully

To: Cog line <>
Subject: out of area - Tarcutta / Mates Gully
From: sandra henderson <>
Date: Thu, 11 May 2017 08:49:21 +0000
Mates Gully TSR is a favourite with many COG members. I was there early this week, mainly to attend the launch of the Save our Swift Parrots project in that area.
I visited Mates Gully TSR on three occasions over the two days. The ironbarks are in flower, and while I didn't catch up with any swift parrots, the honeyeaters are plentiful. Huge numbers of red wattlebirds and yellow-tufted honeyeaters, but I also saw good numbers of white-plumed, brown-headed, yellow-faced, fuscous and white-naped, as well as noisy friarbirds, a restless flycatcher and crested shrike-tits.
I also took the opportunity to venture in the other direction from Tarcutta, out to Humula (less than 30km away). Close to the cemetery I found a black falcon, and at the MacNamaras Creek crossing on the Humula Rd, in the small stand of tall eucs with bare paddocks all around, there were diamond firetails, dusky woodswallows, crested shrike-tits, jacky winters, golden whistlers, various honeyeaters...
I'm was also told that there is a newish wetland established at some old sewage ponds in Wagga city, but I didn't get a chance to take a look at that.

sandra h