Honeyeater migration here and there

To: Lindsay Hansch <>
Subject: Honeyeater migration here and there
From: Martin Butterfield <>
Date: Mon, 17 Apr 2017 02:28:36 +0000
Of course, with Murphy's Law being what it is, within 30 minutes of putting up last past a flock of 80 chipping Yellow-faced Honeyeaters flew over our house.  That is my GBS entry (most at one time) so far, but there have been a couple of other flocks of about 50 birds this morning.

Interestingly 5 Noisy Miners also flew over. They typically stay in the cleared country at the top of the block until it gets really frosty and then move through to somewhere lower and warmer.  Perhaps they have a different view of future weather to BoM or perhaps the epicormic growth and dead leaf environment further up is not to their liking.


On 17 April 2017 at 10:00, Lindsay Hansch <> wrote:

Hi Martin


Your comments are interesting.  The migration over Jerrabomberra has been somewhat haphazard.  For example, on Saturday it was full on with thousands of birds passing through but on Sunday, in similar weather conditions, there were very few birds moving.






From: Martin Butterfield [
Sent: Monday, 17 April 2017 9:35 AM
To: COG List <m("","canberrabirds");" target="_blank">>
Subject: [canberrabirds] Honeyeater migration here and there


So far I have seen few if any migrating honeyeaters in the parts of Carwoola I visit most often.  None have come over home whereas we usually get a few.  The lower end of Widgiewa Rd (out of the fireground) has had a few Yellow-faced Honeyeaters visible but they haven't been flying East "with purpose'.  Large numbers were reported from the Plain about 10 days ago.


On the other hand there was a lot of movement at Mallacoota last week.  

  • On Monday (10 April) with clear skies over the Inlet, but cloud building before a front coming from the West, I estimated 3,000 birds overflew the house, travelling steadily in loose flocks of up to 20 birds.  They were going along just below a low ridge, heading North, but more probably following the timber to a point where it was easy to cross a creek rather than overflying the Inlet.  
  • Tuesday  to Thursday were what I term English weather (mild, cloudy and drizzling) with a few birds moving between showers.  
  • Friday was fine but I only noticed a couple of flocks of up to 50 birds.  
  • On Saturday, as I was packing the car we were again back in full-on mode.  A continual stream of birds following the same path as Monday.  Around 9-10am I estimated at least 1,000 birds in the hout.


<Prev in Thread] Current Thread [Next in Thread>

The University of NSW School of Computer and Engineering takes no responsibility for the contents of this archive. It is purely a compilation of material sent by many people to the Canberra Ornithologists Group mailing list. It has not been checked for accuracy nor its content verified in any way. If you wish to get material removed from the archive or have other queries about the list contact David McDonald, list manager, phone (02) 6231 8904 or email . If you can not contact David McDonald e-mail Andrew Taylor at this address: andrewt@cse.unsw.EDU.AU