canberrabirds

Waterbirds are back

To: COG List <>
Subject: Waterbirds are back
From: Martin Butterfield <>
Date: Sun, 12 Mar 2017 03:50:28 +0000
I went to look down into Foxlow Lagoon this morning.

The immediate point noted was that the water, while still large in extent is getting shallow.  Ducks and Swans were standing on the usual sandbar in the middle of the water.

The second notable point was the very large number of Eurasian Coots present.  My estimate was at least 500.

I attempted to count the number of Little Pied Cormorants present but they were very restless, flying between the water and perches in the willows near the railway line.  Those in the water were constantly hunting underwater.  I ended by estimating 80 birds of this species - there were at least 50 perched in one count and an estimate of 30 in the water was conservative.  Surprisingly I couldn't spot any Great or Little Black Cormorants.