canberrabirds

Late summer Narrabundah Hill surveys

To: "" <>
Subject: Late summer Narrabundah Hill surveys
From: Jack & Andrea Holland <>
Date: Thu, 23 Feb 2017 05:05:27 +0000
The highlight of my survey this morning along the W fence line of the above reserve was a good example of a ground mixed feeding flock (MFF) comprising of the following small species: around 10 Double-barred Finch (quite a few immatures), over a dozen Red-browed Finch, several Superb Fairy-wren and Silvereye and a single Southern Whiteface.  Also still present elsewhere was a late female White-winged Triller, a Sacred Kingfisher and several Dusky Woodswallows including a couple of still begging young (Jean all these were around “Jack’s corner” with the MFF in the blackberries on the small dam wall).

Four Gang-gangs also flew over, and a similar number of Yellow-tailed Black-cockatoos were seen feeding a dependent young.

The best bird of the survey of the quieter S fence line yesterday was a male flycatcher which I was able to follow for at least 5 minutes while it flew around to some quite open perches where its shimmering tail was a feature.  I thought at the time it was a Satin, but after consulting my field guides, the COG Photo Gallery, as well as Duncan’s post on the chat line of 5 November 2016 of the males side by side, I’ve concluded it was the more likely Leaden Flycatcher.  Even that species is a pretty good find, I’ve seen very few in my local area since the 2003 fires, particularly in the past 5 years or so.

The White-necked Heron was also seen, but the definite low light was over 50 Common (Indian) Mynas around the big dam, the most I’ve seen together for quite some time and approaching the numbers that used to be seen there pre-CIMAG.

I’ve not been able to find the Golden-headed Cisticola in my spring/summer surveys here this year, but I recorded one in the sometimes boggy spot at the end of the drain off Kathner St on my snipe survey last Sunday, as well as one there  in October 2016.  This is around 500 m from where they have usually been found along the S fence line.

Jack Holland