canberrabirds

Odd obs

To: COG List <>
Subject: Odd obs
From: Martin Butterfield <>
Date: Tue, 14 Feb 2017 06:00:02 +0000
The Whiskered Terns have left the marsh at the Plain.  A week ago there were still 50-60 there but when I was out yesterday that cupboard was bare.  In other cupboards the Intermediate Egret shelf was stocked with 1 bird (only the second in 10 years), a solitary Pink-eared Duck also present and a very surprising Swamp Harrier.  The last was a very large dark brown bird which only became with certainty a Swampie when it banked to reveal a white rump.  From my reading this makes it a juvenile female.

Today at Kelly's 1 intermediate Egret and 1 Great Egret plus 3 Freckled Duck (one with a lovely red base to its bill) and several Snipe (none with trackers or flags that I could see).