canberrabirds

Juvenile Nankeen Night-Herons on the Molonglo

To: Martin Butterfield <>
Subject: Juvenile Nankeen Night-Herons on the Molonglo
From: John Harris <>
Date: Sun, 5 Feb 2017 04:29:41 +0000

I suppose for me the question is did the NN Herons breed here or did they breed elsewhere and come here for better wetlands or whatever. How far can NN Heroins who bred out west this year fly? I did suggest that they had bred here in the ACT in an earlier post but I admit to only seeing one adult this summer. Your idea for a post doc is spot on. Someone needs to catch a few of these juveniles and band them.  Almost anyone is more of an expert than me on this subject but the one in Ginninderra Creek which turns up every now and then of an evening in my GBS patch initially gave the IMPRESSION of being very young. It is of course in the obscurity of the dusk light that I see it fly but at first it seemed a very weak flyer, flapping about and hitting the reeds when it was obviously aiming a bit beyond them.