canberrabirds

Off topic: falcons as consumables

To: 'David Rees' <>
Subject: Off topic: falcons as consumables
From: Philip Veerman <>
Date: Thu, 2 Feb 2017 03:55:38 +0000

Yes obviously and the use of (hawks, including buzzards and eagles etc) surely includes more species that the number of falcon species) is part of falconry and most books of relevance still refer to them all as order Falconiformes. I agree they look like Saker Falcons but that is only by going by the book: “Falcons of the world” by Tom Cade, that starts the Saker Falcon species text with: “Favourite hunting bird of Arab falconers.......” The implication from the article is that all these birds are all captive bred. It does not say where this breeding is happening, to then be sent to en route to Saudi Arabia. As for the word use 'falcon hawks' it is not in usual use but I stand but my description of not unusual ignorance. It is not as bad as those (many people) who would call apes, monkeys, even worse because they are our relatives............ Remember the furore about Adam Goodes being called an ape, of course he is, as am I, but I am not a monkey.

Philip