canberrabirds

Mulligan's Flat today

To: COG Chatline <>
Subject: Mulligan's Flat today
From: Julie Clark <>
Date: Sun, 15 Jan 2017 04:55:13 +0000
Hi All,

Highlights of today's visit to MF were:
  • Finally seeing the Pink-eared Ducklings again and discovering that all 8 ducklings are still there!
  • All six of the second Australasian Grebe brood have also survived and are doing well, although tiny No6 is still trying to climb on parent's back!
  • Dollarbirds are making their presence felt - both vocally and with the occasional swooping. Hopefully we'll see some young ones  eventually.
  • There are also 7 Grey Teal ducklings on the big dam
  • Two flocks of Straw-necked Ibis flew on to  the dam... over 30 birds
  • Swans also have tiny cygnets ... we only saw 3 but 4 were recorded yesterday. They were hiding on the parent's back & under the wings ... hard to see exactly what was going on ..
  • Yesterday I also watched a Scarlet Robin family - at least two juveniles​
​Photos (good enough for Id & count, but taken from the opposite side of the dam) of the Pink-eared  & Grey Teal Ducklings on eBird checklist -

Better photos of the Grebes, Dollarbirds & Scarlet Robins -

​Cheers
Julie​

--
Julie Clark