canberrabirds

good spots for Double-barred Finch

To: 'Wayne Gregson' <>, "'calyptorhynchus .'" <>
Subject: good spots for Double-barred Finch
From: Philip Veerman <>
Date: Sun, 11 Dec 2016 04:19:37 +0000

The closest to home (my home that is) that I have sort of regularly seen them is on the west side of Mt Taylor. Normally only about 2 to 6. The Kambah track off Colquhoun St. The track goes parallel to Tugg Parkway then turns right at a dam towards the summit, then crosses the powerline track. Follow the powerline track back towards Kambah.  It is in that area that I have encountered them. However much less in the last year or so than in most previous years. Also they are regularly present at the National zoo. That may be the closest to central Canberra. When I first came to Canberra in 1973 I saw and photographed them at the site of the ANBG but I don’t think I have seen them there since my residence in Canberra (1983). I have seen flocks at Fyshwick Sewage Ponds when we could get in there.

Philip