canberrabirds

RE: Silver Gulls hawking [SEC=UNCLASSIFIED]

To: Megan Mears <>
Subject: RE: Silver Gulls hawking [SEC=UNCLASSIFIED]
From: Denise Kay <>
Date: Wed, 16 Nov 2016 19:53:21 +0000
I have a plague of Elm beetles  at my place. The Willie wagtails love them I expect other species are enjoying the bounty as well.

Denise
Giralang Pond Landcare Group
visit us on Facebook

On 16 Nov 2016, at 6:27 pm, Megan Mears <> wrote:

I saw about 20 Currawongs doing this same 'hawking' yesterday in North Watson. It took me a while to figure out what was happening. I eventually noticed a rather large amount of what I'd call ants on the ground, which I realised were also flying ants/bugs. Whatever the insects were, the Currawongs were loving it. Their aerial display was very graceful. A few other bush birds joined in, but not the magpies.

Megan