canberrabirds

Our local Tawny Frogmouths

To: "" <>
Subject: Our local Tawny Frogmouths
From: Steve Read <>
Date: Wed, 16 Nov 2016 07:36:56 +0000

Last year our local pair of Tawny Frogmouths (we are in Derwent S, Lyons) nested in a tall ironbark two gardens away and fledged two chicks, but no-one could spot this year’s nest site. I knew they were still around, as one was occasionally seen on the Hills hoist in the back yard when I went outside at the end of the evening to say goodnight to the world – get too close and it would fly away in complete silence, as though the air it travelled through was muffled.

Then, two nights ago, we spotted a frogmouth perched on the roof-rack of our ute, which at least explained the droppings that had been appearing there.

Finally, yesterday afternoon, Mum and Dad frogmouth were to be seen in an elm tree in the front yard, perched on adjacent branches with a small but bright-eyed youngster on the branch beneath. Lach took the attached picture of the young one.

Steve