canberrabirds

Request for information: Fairy Martin

To: Michael Lenz <>
Subject: Request for information: Fairy Martin
From: Martin Butterfield <>
Date: Fri, 4 Nov 2016 22:58:52 +0000
Michael

I am aware of two sites for Fairy Martin on the Hoskinstown Plain.  One is a culvert under Plains Rd (about 5km from Briars-Sharrow Rd) and that seems to be at a similar level of activity to past years.  The other is under the disused railway line opposite the Banded Lapwing site: I haven't seen any Fairy Martins there this year so last year might have been the exception.

Tree Martins pop up here and there in this area, but the best site is a Euc. manniferra remnant on private property off Pollock Rd which comes off Plains about 4km from Briars-Sharrow.  When I visited about 10 days there were good numbers of Tree Martins in the area but I couldn't work out which, if any nest hollows they were using.  There seemed to be more Common Starlings than I have seen in the past and they were definitely using many hollows.

Martin