canberrabirds

Old Boboyan Road blitzed

To: "" <>
Subject: Old Boboyan Road blitzed
From: Steve Read <>
Date: Sat, 29 Oct 2016 08:32:29 +0000

Old Boboyan Road was in very drivable condition today for Paul Gatenby and myself (the ute didn’t need to leave 2WD). Conditions were grey, overcast and pretty cool until the sun came out at about 10 am, by which time we were at the top of the ridge separating the Hospital Creek and Nass Creek drainages. The country was in good condition, with many Red-necked Wallaby and large Eastern Grey Kangaroo. We had a very pleasant conversation with a ranger and, unlike last year, no-one got locked in.

Birdlife, on the other hand, was generally hard to spot. There was a reasonable amount of birdsong at each site, with Striated Pardalote, White-naped Honeyeater and Little Raven at all the six sites surveyed along the road, Grey Shrike-thrush at five of the sites, and Spotted Pardalote, Yellow-faced Honeyeater, Fuscous Honeyeater and Red Wattlebird at four of the sites. However, most other species were seen only as isolated individuals, and none of the more unusual species such as Brown Treecreeper, Hooded Robin, Diamond Firetail or Spotted Quailthrush were about. Highlights were a male Satin Flycatcher and six Gang-gangs at the very north end of Old Boboyan Road, and a Swamp Harrier seen from Yankee Flat carpark. Our total list for the six Old Boboyan Road sites was 41 species.

Steve

Bird species / Old Boboyan Road

29Oct16

Number of sites seen (out of six)