canberrabirds

Bltz in Kowen (mainly)

To: COG List <>
Subject: Bltz in Kowen (mainly)
From: Martin Butterfield <>
Date: Sat, 29 Oct 2016 04:53:35 +0000
I was able to overcome various access hurdles and get to 5 sites in Kowen today and the Queanbeyan Sewage Works (QSW which are of course in the ACT!).  Things seemed very quiet, but I noted 45 species in total.  Breeding events I noted were:

Common Starling - visiting nest site at Geophysics site
Eastern Yellow Robin- feeding young at Blue Tiles;
Great Cormorant - sitting on nest at QSW

Reports of the demise of Scarlet Robin are premature.  We had at least 3 (2m 1f and they may have been nesting but I couldn't spot the nest in a windrow) at the Geophysics site, and 4 (2 of each sex) more about 300m downhill from that site.