canberrabirds

Birdlife Townsville group.....collecting the pellets of Rainbow bee-eate

To: Robin Hide <>
Subject: Birdlife Townsville group.....collecting the pellets of Rainbow bee-eater birds..a surveillance method...presence of Asian honey bees
From: David Rees <>
Date: Mon, 1 Aug 2016 05:25:57 +0000
Robin

its a good trick this one.  This was done sometime ago to look out for the arrival of Asian honey bee in northern Australia, first in the top end if my memory serves me right.  Bee eaters are good bee samplers. One biosecurity failure followed another with the arrival of Asian honey bee in north QLD and now the mite.  Australia was probably the last major land mass that did not have the varroa mite.  We will see if it spreads (or has already). Experience elsewhere is not on our side on that one.

David