canberrabirds

WTE child attack - not an urban myth.

To: chatline canberrabirds <>
Subject: WTE child attack - not an urban myth.
From: Terry Bird <>
Date: Wed, 13 Jul 2016 06:00:15 +0000
Following recent recent contributions about possible wedge tail eagle attacks
on small children let me relate an account I heard about 10 years from a very
reliable senior citizen in Braidwood who was married at the time to a
journalist in charge of the local newspaper.

This fellow described in detail an incident which took place on an isolated
rural property when he was about 8 years of age  and outside playing with
younger children and family members.
An eagle suddenly appeared from nowhere, fastened on to his young sister aged
about 2 or 3 years at the time and managed to lift her off the ground.

It was only the immediate actions of this brave young boy  who flung himself
over the child that prevented an almost certain tragedy which apparently always
remained vivid in this persons memory.

At the time of listening to this graphic account I can remember expressing my
great surprise and enquired at the assembled dinner group why  we had never
heard of any reports or documentation of incidents of this nature.

In the event of any COG member requiring further information I am willing to
make further enquiries about names, dates, location etc.

Sent from my iPad
Emails posted to the list that exceed 200 kB in size, including attachments,
will be rejected.
All emails distributed via the list are archived at
http://bioacoustics.cse.unsw.edu.au/archives/html/canberrabirds. It is a
condition of list membership that you agree to your contributions being
archived.
When subscribing or unsubscribing, please insert the word 'Subscribe' or
'Unsubscribe', as applicable, in the email's subject line.
List manager: David McDonald, email <>