canberrabirds

and now, GARDEN BIRDS

To: 'Denis Wilson' <>, 'Geoffrey Dabb' <>
Subject: and now, GARDEN BIRDS
From: Philip Veerman <>
Date: Wed, 1 Jun 2016 23:22:40 +0000

Geoff is right to use the F statistic number of sites (though F expresses this as a %) in this little analysis. One of the many outputs I designed for the GBS was to automatically select the top 50 (or any other number) from the last 5 (or any other number or arrangement of years but last 5 seems a good moving average) and sequence them in the right order this was so as to have an immediate output for arranging the species list for the next printing of the GBS Chart. It seems that this has not been used.

The incursion of sites involving wetlands sufficient to have the impact on A values of waterbirds, is a relatively new thing in GBS history, so there is not a lot of value to be had from that comparison (until including that knowledge). I did not know that King Parrots were exceptional, then (1959), in Canberra but extrapolating the graph in the GBS Report back that far certainly supports this, as the increase has been steady from being initially rare over that time.

Philip