canberrabirds

Large flock of Pink-eared Ducks on Lake Ginninderra

To: Canberra birds <>
Subject: Large flock of Pink-eared Ducks on Lake Ginninderra
From: John Layton <>
Date: Sun, 15 May 2016 06:07:14 +0000

Some years ago I introduced BBQ brekkies as a school holiday activity. This morning, young-twenties things decided to revise the trend before it got too cold. Jesus.

So at 09:00, McDermott Place, after everyone was fed, we noticed a large flock of birds bobbing on the water about 100 metres away towards the eastern shore. The betting started as to what they were.

“One way to find out,” I said.

“You wade out and look.”

“Quiet! There’s a better way,” I said, fetching the 10x binos. Surprisingly they turned out to be Pink-eared Ducks. I have one record from 15 years ago of such a flock at Lake Ginninderra. Other than that only sighting was of a lost-looking single specimen that used to hang out near the western end of the bridge.

John Layton

Holt.