canberrabirds

Great Crested Grebe - thank you

To: COG_Mailing_List <>
Subject: Great Crested Grebe - thank you
From: John Brown <>
Date: Sat, 30 Apr 2016 00:49:27 +0000

No luck with the great crested grebe this morning for me unfortunately.

---
John Brown
Mobile: 0408 455 582

On 28 Apr 2016, at 5:54 PM, casburnj <> wrote:

Hi Michael

From about 3.30pm I had extended but fairly distant views of this fast swimming slightly nervous looking bird.  It was interesting to see the crest horns raised – I had not expected that. The bird seemed to be preening in the water at times, so perhaps it is moulting?

For a moment I thought there were 2 birds present when a Little Pied Cormorant popped up next to the Grebe, with similar length of neck in the water.

Many thanks, and especially as I have not seen a Great Crested Grebe before!

Jean