canberrabirds

Honeyeaters still passing over Duffy and Narrabundah Hill

To: canberrabirds <>
Subject: Honeyeaters still passing over Duffy and Narrabundah Hill
From: casburnj <>
Date: Thu, 14 Apr 2016 05:23:01 +0000

I also was surprised by the calls of Yellow-faced Honeyeaters this morning over the house in groups of 50 or so.  I wasn’t outside for long periods as I then went up to the northern end of Narrabundah Hill.  I estimated 150 birds flew out of one of the large trees behind the Telstra Tower across the walking track, some of which landed in large trees along the track and some of which carried on toward the suburb of Duffy.  Amongst these were White-naped Honeyeater.  Throughout the morning small groups were heard moving over the track and seen feeding in the canopy.  Not massive numbers anywhere but still going until about 12md.

An unusual sighting for the hill was a female Flame Robin towards the trig station in company of 10 Dusky Woodswallow.

There were also two small flocks of Striated Thornbill seen along the northern track.  Also more Red Wattlebird than usual, Grey Shrike Thrush, and Black-faced Cuckoo Shrike are evident again.  Six Scarlet Robin.

Jean