canberrabirds

Habitat Reduction Burns

To: COG List <>, COG Wednesday Walkers <>
Subject: Habitat Reduction Burns
From: Martin Butterfield <>
Date: Thu, 14 Apr 2016 04:19:50 +0000
On checking the TAMS website it appears that TAMS are igniting (or have ignited) 3,900 ha (!!!!!!) of Namadgi around the Brandy Flat area.  On speaking to someone from Namadgi VC it seems that there are still trees alight in there and lots of smoke arounfd the Glendale Depot.  She wouldn't advise going to that area next next Wednesday and asked if there was somewhere else we go.

I maliciously suggested Honeysuckle Creek knowing that they have also lit up a few thousand heactares there.  That is also still burning and closed for the public.

Somehow Mount Tennant has escaped the carnage (presumably they have to keep something to burn next year).    So I am wondering about changing the walk to going up the walking trail to (or perhaps past) the Cypress Lookout.  What do people think about that as a proposition?  If I get no strong comments against the idea I will revise the entry on the COG website to that effect tommorow.

I did comment to the operator that I objected strongly to this destruction of the habitat and asked when the ACT was going to change its slogan from the Bush Capital to the Blackened Capital.  But I know this will not change the attitudes of the 'managers' of Namadgi.