canberrabirds

Wanniassa Hills

To: 'Ryu Callaway' <>, 'COG Chat' <>
Subject: Wanniassa Hills
From: Philip Veerman <>
Date: Sat, 9 Apr 2016 04:52:20 +0000

Hi Ryu,

I’m confident this is a Collared Sparrowhawk. Based on clearly forked (not rounded) tail. Middle toe noticeably (not just a bit) longer than other toes, whilst the eyebrow is whitish, which is a bit odd, it does not look like a big structure, beak is smallish relative to head. Other things: the white feather showing on the back seems to be far more common in CS than BG (though books don’t mention that).  Perched in conifers rather than eucs is also suggestive.

I would suggest the other is a Leaden Flycatcher.

Philip