canberrabirds

Robins in Carwoola

To: COG List <>, "" <>, Lesley Page <>, Bill Hall <>, Carla Begbie <>, "Corinna Little" <>, Ellie McFadyen <>, Gabrielle Burns <>, Garry Moffitt <>, Glen &/or Wendy Riley <>, Graeme Clifton <>, John Bissett <>, "John Hyles" <>, Kamprad <>, "Liesl Perryman" <>, Lisa & David <>, "Lybbie Hillman" <>, Lynton Bond <>, "Melanie Lenaghan" <>, Mick Street <>, "Mike and Kerrie" <>, Ros Cornish <>, "Sophie Jensen" <>, Tim Booth <>, "Wayne Johnson" <>
Subject: Robins in Carwoola
From: Martin Butterfield <>
Date: Thu, 7 Apr 2016 23:08:35 +0000
Following the article in the Canberra Tabloid Times about Scarlet Robins I have taken a look into what my database has recorded about members of the Robin family.  It is summarised in this image.

​We have 3 regular Robin species in the area.
  • Flame Robin recording is a bit variable being affected by the number of reports from the Hoskinstown Plain butI don't think we have a problem. Eastern Yellow Robin is now resident in the area - we have at least one pair in our yard as do other residents about 1km away: not a problem.
  • Scarlet Robins vary a bit through the year, typically being absent in December and January, but again I see no problem for them in this area.  But we are not graced with the activities of the Land Development Agency (although Palerang Council are doing their best to emulate that organisation in the Bungendore area).
The other 4 species are all unusual here.  Hooded Robin is intriguing as the area they used to be found in - around Foxlow Bridge - has not been subject to any change of use as far as I can see but the birds haven't been seen anywhere in the area for some years.  (The same area had occasional reports of Brown Treecreeper but they too have disappeared, without any cause obvious to me.)