canberrabirds

What is colour - the eye of the bowerbird (1)

To: "" <>
Subject: What is colour - the eye of the bowerbird (1)
From: Geoffrey Dabb <>
Date: Fri, 11 Mar 2016 00:39:32 +0000

This is a subject I have had an interest in over some years.  It began with the use of flash on the bowerbird in the field, which almost invariably produced an eye of a startling electric blue colour.  This was in marked contrast to the HANZAB illustrations which showed an iris colour which, for want of a better word, I shall call apricot.  It was also in contrast with the description of ‘bare parts – based on photos’.  This began, for the adult male, ‘Iris, purple (c172B) or deep mauve (dark 172C) …’  The references are to the Smithe ‘Naturalist’s Color Guide’.  It is a hazardous undertaking to convey colours by digital image but I attach an approximation based on a scan.  Various factors including your monitor settings will determine whether you see anything like what I see.

I then put the subject to one side because of the notorious unreliability of flash in showing ‘true’ colour, particularly in relation to eyes.  I was prepared to accept ‘purple or deep mauve’ as an accurate description – notwithstanding that it was based on photos of others.

However, recently with the ready availability of subjects in my garden I have sought SBB images without reliance on flash, using where necessary a high gain setting and applying digital brightening later.  The results were very like what I had obtained earlier with flash  -  although rather different from the dark (might I say nondescript?) eye colour you might see with your own eye (with or without binoculars).

As a result of examining hundreds of SBB images obtained over several years, I shall now offer some conclusions.