canberrabirds

Lovely (though grey and drizzly) weekend at the south coast

Subject: Lovely (though grey and drizzly) weekend at the south coast
From: Nathanael Coyne <>
Date: Wed, 27 Jan 2016 00:18:55 +0000
No birding as such but what I could see from the balcony ... weird being just two hours from Canberra yet such a different mix of species.

Almost none of the usuals we get here like magpies, galahs, Sulphur-crested Cockatoos, rosellas and Crested Pigeons.

Musk Lorikeets were by far the nosiest mob; they occupied the canopy of a tall Spotted Gum the whole time and barely shut up.

Habituated King Parrots came down to the bird feeder - at one point I had 11 of them within a metre of me.

Other visitors to the bird feeder included Red-browed Finches, Brown Cuckoo-doves and a Satin Bowerbird.

Other birds seen included many Little Wattlebirds and New Holland Honeyeaters (which here I've only seen at the ANBG), thornbills, Superb Fairy Wrens, a few Glossy Black-cockatoos and a WBSE.

Highlight was a Greater Glider in the trees outside the house.

Nathanael Coyne

www.purecaffeine.com

Canberra, Australia
0431 698 580