canberrabirds

DY Koel

To: 'Nathanael Coyne' <>
Subject: DY Koel
From: Virginia Abernathy <>
Date: Sun, 24 Jan 2016 11:35:41 +0000

Hi Nathanael,

The Black-faced Cuckoo-shrike has been parasitized by the koel before, but this is a very uncommon host. There is a hypothesis that individual cuckoos probably imprint on the host parent that raised them, so that when they are adults, they are more likely to lay eggs in that same species' nest, which perpetuates specialization on a few hosts.

The Channel-billed Cuckoo does use Magpies and Currawongs as hosts, so this is probably another reason why koels don't use them. Less competition with a larger cuckoo.

There actually are some cuckoos that parasitize hosts larger than themselves. One of these is the Asian Koel, which is the sister subspecies of the Eastern Koel in Australia. But I think it would be too difficult for the Eastern Koel to use larger hosts because in order to survive they have to knock all the host eggs out of the nest and this might be difficult if they are raised with larger hosts.

I'm happy to talk more about this if you want! &#X1f60a

Cheers,

Virginia