canberrabirds

Owlet nightjars

To: COG List <>
Subject: Owlet nightjars
From: Stephanie Haygarth <>
Date: Sun, 24 Jan 2016 04:12:07 +0000
Owlet nightjars began basking and calling at various tree hollows on Mt Ainslie today once the sun came out around 1pm.  Photo attached.  The western slopes of Ainslie have a plethora of hollows most suitable for nightjars, sugar gliders and a host of other hollow-dwelling birds and mammals.  It is a real trove.

Monash Drive, a major multi-lane road, was slated for this very area for many years.  Its existence in planning form resulted in major protest by north Canberra residents in the 1980s.  Although Monash Drive was removed the Territory Plan, it was still on the National Capital Plan in 2009, when reports indicated the NCA was about to remove it from the Plan (I've yet to find a document saying it has actually been removed; if a COG member knows of it please let me know on via ) It is certainly to be hoped it will never be built; with Majura Parkway having now been constructed it would seem ridiculous for another such road to be needed.

Re my recent posting on the Rosenberg's Monitor project (yet more evidence of the high conservation values of Mt Ainslie west), a number of COG members showed interest and I've kept them informed of progress via private emails so as not to wear out the 'off topic' welcome on the chatline.  If there are other members who'd like an update/recent photo, just contact me at

Cheers
Matthew Higgins
Emails posted to the list that exceed 200 kB in size, including attachments, will be rejected.
All emails distributed via the list are archived at http://bioacoustics.cse.unsw.edu.au/archives/html/canberrabirds. It is a condition of list membership that you agree to your contributions being archived.
When subscribing or unsubscribing, please insert the word 'Subscribe' or 'Unsubscribe', as applicable, in the email's subject line.
List manager: David McDonald, email <>