canberrabirds

Bluetts Block 9.20 to 11am. - More than 60 Little Raven

To: canberrabirds <>
Subject: Bluetts Block 9.20 to 11am. - More than 60 Little Raven
From: casburnj <>
Date: Thu, 21 Jan 2016 09:29:59 +0000

Got out a bit too late so birds were mostly found in the shade on the lower reaches of the area.

Most interesting was a flock of Little Raven flying towards Mount Stromlo over bushland opposite the gate into Bluetts Block at 9.45am.  From my view up the track on the hill trees quickly blocked my view, but I estimate at least 100 birds were fairly closely bunched. Later on the top side of the block towards Spring Hill farm I counted 58 Little Raven landing in a dead tree from a westerly direction.  Were they flying ahead of a storm I wonder?

Other birds found were:

Leaden Flycatcher

Brown-headed Honeyeater

Silvereye

Rufous Whistler

Crimson Rosella

Grey Fantail

Striated Pardalote

Brown Thornbill

White-browed Scrubwren

Superb Fairy Wren

White-throated Treecreeper

Yellow Robin

Weebill

Speckled Warbler

Australian Magpie

Pied Currawong

Red-browed Finch

Red Wattlebird

Buff-rumped Thornbill ( with sub-adult birds)

Sacred Kingfisher heard

Dollarbird or Grey Currawong making weird call (not seen)

No Noisy Miner or Common Myna.

Not many water birds on Weston Pond , 2 Pink-eared Duck, Hoary-headed Grebe and the other more common species.

Jean