canberrabirds

Off topic: Chelepteryx collesi Gray - Australian Museum

To: "" <>
Subject: Off topic: Chelepteryx collesi Gray - Australian Museum
From: Bronwyn King <>
Date: Mon, 4 Jan 2016 06:37:50 +0000
Thanks for showing us the painting Rosemary.  The caterpillars are very arresting - I'm glad to hear you found one in Melba.
I collected a Chelepteryx collesi caterpillar once in our garden and kept it in a large ex-fishtank until it emerged as a moth.
I think you might enjoy these photos of it.  There's quite a large fly next to the caterpillar for scale.

https://picasaweb.google.com/bronkin/WhiteStemmedGumMothAndCaterpillar#

Bron