canberrabirds

WW to London Bridge Homestead

To: COG List <>, COG Wednesday Walkers <>, gang-gang <>
Subject: WW to London Bridge Homestead
From: Martin Butterfield <>
Date: Wed, 16 Dec 2015 05:19:41 +0000
The editors of Gang-gang may wish to use the following as the report on this trip.

25 members and guests gathered together at the car park for the London Bridge area.  The weather appeared fine and mild, and indeed so it continued throughout the event.

The dominant bird at the start was Noisy Miner, although possibly the Australian Hobby seen by some late arrivals calmed them down a bit.

As we progressed along the track towards the Homestead several small  flocks of Rosellas were noted and once out of the trees the calls of smaller passerines became evident.  A Fuscous Honeyeater was recorded and White-winged Trillers, White-throated and Western Gerygones, and Rufous Whistlers were clearly heard. Dusky Woodswallows were reasonably numerous hawking off dead branches and a flock of Tree Martins were seen on the skyline.  A small number of Welcome Swallows were hawking above the grass (far more were hanging out at the Homestead).

On arrival at the Homestead the first group of Southern Whiteface (including a dependent young) were seen.  It was difficult to count numbers as there appeared to be several groups of this species in the area and we eventually agreed that 8 birds was a conservative count.  A Brown Treecreeper was both heard and seen in a large tree behind the homestead.  2 'brown' Flame Robins and a Speckled Warbler were seen in this area.

We then followed a trail mowed beside the River, passing through the edge of the bush.  A number of bush birds, including Brown-headed Honeyeaters were added to the list as we did so and at least 2 more Brown Treecreepers were heard calling.  2 Nankeen Kestrels were hunting in the grass around the Bridge and 4 Wedge-tailed Eagles soared overhead.

We totaled 51 species for the walk.

I have concocted a blogpost with some additional commentary a few snaps and a brief report on what Leigh, Duncan and myself spotted at Tin Hut Dam after the walk finished.  A full list of species seen on the formal walk is attached: could that, and the report above,  be added to the COG Website please.

The editors of Gang-gang may wish to add this to the forthcoming trips area (and if that could also be added to the Trips page of the Website).
The Wednesday Walk for January will be on 20 January 2016 going to the big dam area in Mulligans Flat.  Meet at 8:30 am in the main parking area on Amy Ackman St.  If, for some reason, the Reserve is closed we could check out Forde Ponds, meeting at the same spot.