canberrabirds

Query re raising Tawny Frogmouths

To: "'David McDonald (personal)'" <>, 'CanberraBirds' <>
Subject: Query re raising Tawny Frogmouths
From: Philip Veerman <>
Date: Sun, 13 Dec 2015 07:47:01 +0000
That is an interesting question. HANZAB suggests the young stay with parents
after fledging for 2 to 4 weeks. I would be surprised if there is any component
of teaching to hunt by the parents involved at all. This is not really a big
component of bird behaviour, though implied in some raptors. I have not been in
this situation but I expect what normally would happen is likely to be that the
young know and practice themself. The process is of developing their skills. In
that process quite likely parents still feed them until they stop begging for
food from them because they are learning the skills.

I imagine they are housed in an aviary of sorts. I would suggest instead of
continuing to directly hand feed them, just try putting the food on the ground
at increasing distance or in the case of live prey, under leaf litter to
encourage the young to sit and search until they find food. Also increase the
range of live food options available. If they successfully find food then wean
off hand feeding.

Would be interesting to know what they try and whether it works. I don't know
where they live but don't release them near the Turner Bowls Club.