canberrabirds

Five Koels in Backyard

To: Martyn Moffat <>, Canberra Birds <>
Subject: Five Koels in Backyard
From: Virginia Abernathy <>
Date: Wed, 18 Nov 2015 11:17:56 +0000

Wow Martyn! That's so cool! Thanks for sharing this observation. The males were likely fighting over the females. I saw a similar thing happen in Sydney last year between two males while a female was close by. They both puffed out their feathers, fanned their tails, and "hunched" over, making themselves look as big as possible and gave their "wurroo" calls until the female flew off and then they followed her.

This behaviour has also been described in a paper by Pratt (1970).

Cheers,

Virginia