canberrabirds

Sundry obs in and out of the area

To: COG List <>
Subject: Sundry obs in and out of the area
From: Martin Butterfield <>
Date: Sun, 15 Nov 2015 05:56:29 +0000
We have just spent a few days at Robe in SE SA.  The birding was steady rather than brilliant with a few highlights:
  • The best site around Robe was Lake Fox - essentially a drainage channel right on the Eastern edge of the town.  Several species of waders and two Fairy Terns.
  • Fresh Dip Lake (off Nora Creina Rd) was surprising with 6 Musk Duck and 2 Great Crested Grebe.  Continuing on down that Road and the Southern Ports Highway towards Beachport a good array of waterbirds were in Drain M.
  • At Kingston SE 16 Musk Duck (and 68 Pied Cormorants) were in the ocean adjacent to the Jetty.  200 banded Stilts and 50 Sharp-tailed Sandpipers were in a drain just North of the town.
Returning home the Tawny Frogmouths have fledged and disappeared from view.  The Pied Currawong chicks are in the process of fledging as I type which offers some hope of my not being swooped in a couple of days.