canberrabirds

Blitzing at Mulligans Flat - a cuckoo morning

To: "" <>
Subject: Blitzing at Mulligans Flat - a cuckoo morning
From: Jenny Bounds <>
Date: Sun, 25 Oct 2015 20:29:17 +0000

Alison Russell-French and I surveyed at Mulligans Flat on Saturday morning.   It was interesting to record 6 cuckoo species in the reserve, the usual ones both Bronze-cuckoos, Pallid and Fan-tailed, but also a Brush Cuckoo calling, and Alison saw a Black-eared Cuckoo at one site.  Both Brush and Black-eared Cuckoo were recorded in the ANU bird surveys at Mulligans recently.  We had a few absentees on the day, no raptors and less species than normal  at the large dam, possibly due to high water level.  We did see one Freckled Duck a long way off (there has been a pair recorded in COG woodland surveys there this year).  Lots of Trillers calling and displaying along the strip of trees of the old coach road on the eastern side abutting the Throsby neck, with Dusky Woodswallows also there.  74 species total, a few less than we got  last year.