canberrabirds

Kookaburra vs blue tongue

To: 'Marg Peachey' <>, 'Stephanie Haygarth' <>
Subject: Kookaburra vs blue tongue
From: Philip Veerman <>
Date: Mon, 12 Oct 2015 04:34:27 +0000

I believe Kookaburras will defend nest hollows against goannas, as they are nest predators. A blue tongue lizard if too big to take to feed on could be attacked for nest defence, even if the risk is minimal or non existent from this species. Not unreasonable if they may not differentiate between a predator and another reptile. I well recall the story I observed and wrote up in CBN years ago of many birds (not including kookaburras) mounting a spirited attack on a baseball glove, that presumably because of its fingers and leather stitching even I thought looked reptilian. I wonder if a kookaburra would even be capable of lifting such a big prey item.

(This one is serious and not submitted in very obvious fiction, as was my fox comment).

Philip