canberrabirds

Fwd: [Birding-Aus] Latham's Snipe project and migration

To: COG List <>
Subject: Fwd: [Birding-Aus] Latham's Snipe project and migration
From: Martin Butterfield <>
Date: Wed, 9 Sep 2015 05:08:18 +0000
For info

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: David Wilson <>
Date: 9 September 2015 at 14:24
Subject: Latham's Snipe project and migration

Hi all,

For anyone interesting in knowing more about Latham's snipe, we are
starting a project at Port Fairy, Victoria on their annual migration and
local movement patterns. We're putting out up to 40 geolocators this summer
(starting this week), and hope to deploy satellite trackers next year.
There are also regular counts and leg-flagging planned for this summer.

We plan to post updates fairly regularly over the non-breeding season: you
can follow updates for the project via
https://lathamssnipeproject.wordpress.com/news/ - there should be a
'follow' button in the bottom right-hand corner.

We're also keen to get a picture of Latham's snipe migration patterns
elsewhere in Australia, especially first arrivals for the year. This year
we have the first Australian record for this non-breeding season from
August 8 (Oxley Creek Common, Queensland), with the first NSW record from
August 20, and Victorian record from August 22. We have no records of them
from Tasmania yet this year. See more, and links to sighting reports here
https://lathamssnipeproject.wordpress.com/2015/09/03/first-snipe-of-the-2015-6-season-arrive/
.

If you have an earlier record for this year, arrival records for other
years or interesting snipe observations (large numbers, unusual location or
time) we'd love to hear from you.

Regards, Dave
The Latham's Snipe Project team

--