canberrabirds

Ringbarking by Galahs

To: Philip Veerman <>, 'Canberra Birds' <>
Subject: Ringbarking by Galahs
From: John Harris <>
Date: Thu, 30 Jul 2015 10:20:51 +0000

Thanks Philip. I agree that captive birds can show obsessive behaviour due to boredom. However I have myself observed this polishing in the wild. Irrespective of whether they polish or not, or why they do it, I still believe that if the instinct is strong enough to engage in this or any activity, that galahs and indeed any birds can seem to display obsessive behaviour, carrying on with an activity far more than TO US logically necessary.  But none of this is OUR logic, or any kind of logic for that matter. If they like doing it, there will always be individuals who will carry on more than ‘normal’, whatever ‘normal’ is.