canberrabirds

FW: CSIRO need dead rabbits

To: "" <>
Subject: FW: CSIRO need dead rabbits
From: Steve Holliday <>
Date: Tue, 21 Jul 2015 22:48:54 +0000

Hi all

Passing this on in case anyone is able to help...

If you find a recently dead rabbit you could pop it in a plastic bag, fridge it and call Tanja. Also keep a note of where you found it.

Steve

Hi everyone,

If you come across a dead rabbit while in the field at Mulligans (or Gooroo) please can you contact Dr Tanja Strive from CSIRO as she is testing them RHDV (see email below).  I am guessing that the carcass needs to be relatively fresh if she needs to take liver samples.

Cheers

Helen

Dear all,

There just has been an OIE notification of a new exotic strain of RHDV in the ACT (See below). This one is different yet again from the exotic strain that turned up in Sydney last year and that I found in one of the Mulligan’s rabbits back in March.

It is unclear where it came from of what implications it will have for rabbit control (good or bad), as this strain is similar to European strains that have slightly different properties compared to Australian strains. However it will be very important that we track the movement of this virus in the landscape.

I would like to ask you all for help: Can you keep your eyes out for dead bunnies please?

All I need is a small piece of the liver but if you don't have any sampling kit with you, you could just bag it and keep cool and drop me an email or ring me (details below or 0417 342 805) and I’ll arrange for pickup.

We have been detecting dead bunnies here at black mountain until a two weeks ago, so there could still be virus activity in the area.

Your help with this is much appreciated

Many thanks in advance!

Tanja

Dr Tanja Strive

Research Scientist

Team Leader Invasive Species

CSIRO Biosecurity Flagship

GPO Box 1700, Canberra, ACT 2601, Australia

+61 2 6246 4176