canberrabirds

Speed of a Hobby

To: "" <>
Subject: Speed of a Hobby
From: "" <>
Date: Thu, 25 Jun 2015 00:42:30 +0000

A couple of days ago we had an interesting experience while driving in open country near Narromine NSW.  A Hobby pulled into formation with our vehicle just 30 m away and only 1.5 m above the ground. It flew alongside for about 400 m before pulling up sharply into a sole roadside tree in which was a number of small birds.  We did not see the outcome.  It flew at precisely 100 km/hour over the distance as we were on cruise control with speed set from the GPS.

We surmised that it flew below the radar (the horizon) to limit detection.  Later we wondered whether it was actually capable of more than 100 km/hour bur had developed the tactic of using vehicles as a foil.  Little birds' attention may be focussed on the large but innocuous object approaching but fail to notice the comparatively tiny but lethal object also approaching.

Regardless, it was a magnificent sight.

Lindsay Nothrop

Email sent using Optus Webmail