canberrabirds

FW: [canberrabirds] King Parrots on Masson Street

To: "" <>
Subject: FW: [canberrabirds] King Parrots on Masson Street
From: Geoffrey Dabb <>
Date: Wed, 17 Jun 2015 00:41:03 +0000

From: Isobel Crawford [
Sent: Tuesday, 16 June 2015 6:21 PM
To: Nathanael Coyne
Subject: Re: [canberrabirds] King Parrots on Masson Street

Nathanael,

I checked Pryor & Banks (1991) 'Trees and Shrubs in Canberra' and they confirmed my recollection that Hackett Gardens has/have been 'blessed with' Chinese Elm Ulmus parvifolia, whose fruits are sought after by Crimsons and Kings, inter al. So, if it was the western corner where you have recorded King Parrots, they are/were probably eating Chinese Elm fruits. Interestingly, the eastern corner is 'blessed with' a dense population of Onion Grass Romulea rosea var. australis, of which the corms are highly sort after by Galahs and many other parrot species.

Isobel.

Isobel Crawford

Australian Botanical Surveys,

POB 6031,