canberrabirds

Black-breasted Kite

To: 'shorty' <>
Subject: Black-breasted Kite
From: Philip Veerman <>
Date: Mon, 1 Jun 2015 02:18:43 +0000

Hi there, From what you write now I suspect a family of Swamp Harriers, the two in the photo being young birds and the other one you mention its parent. Though that is only an opinion as to what is likely. I have no issue with your id of other raptors. Don’t always assume that the bird you hear is the one you see. My question though relates to how Black-breasted Kite came into the thread. You write “so after reading the report on E-Bird stating the same observation” so what observation was that? Can anyone else clarify? Did someone else see these Swamp Harriers and think they are Black-breasted Kites. It would need a lot better evidence if so, to make that case.

For what it is worth as an aside, I recall years ago Dick Schodde giving a talk titled “Is the Black-breasted Buzzard a Kite” or was it titled “Is the Black-breasted Kite a Buzzard”. Same question as either name really isn’t right. But we don’t have a good name. My understanding is that bird & Square-tailed Kite & Red Goshawk are really not a buzzard, kite or goshawk but their own little group of related aussie raptors that superficially look and behave like those well known other birds.

Philip