canberrabirds

Feeney and Langmore on Campbell Park research on wrens and cuckoos

To: Iliana Medina Guzmán <>, "<>" <>
Subject: Feeney and Langmore on Campbell Park research on wrens and cuckoos
From: David Rees <>
Date: Wed, 8 Apr 2015 15:03:33 +1000
Lliana

Thank you for your assessment of my translation.  So, are you implying that a 'general audience' needs plain English to understand things and 'scientists' do not?

If something is 'learnt' then it is 'learnt', and it is a good idea simply to say so.  Then one could say something like '......'species X' can quickly learn and then use several ways/methods/strategies to defend it's nest(s) from cuckoos (species XWZ) '. Such English will stand the 'test of time' in the written record of human progress.  Shakespeare would have understood something that, given that he clearly knew one species of parasitic cuckoo, but probably not too many 'brood parasites' except perhaps the offspring of various 'girlfriends'!

Technical terms, for example 'a gas-liquid widget (model XWZ 123b) was used to... ', are fine as they are descriptors.  Why do 'scientists' need words that 'imply' when plain English words that 'state' are available?  When I look at a document to help me to do something new I don't want to see words that 'imply' I want to see words that tell me what to do.

If they have not done so already, may I suggest researchers have a read of this classic - https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/334735.Complete_Plain_Words_3rd_Edition.  Very British and a bit old fashioned now, but in my view some of the clearest English ever written was produced in and about 1940. There was a reason for that, lives and freedom depended on clarity.  Winston Churchill did not 'imply'.   Go to the bit on jargon generators, its a military example, given the 'defence portfolios' mentioned in the paper in question it may be appropriate.  However, these days there are online jargon generators - here is one  http://www.sciencegeek.net/lingo.html - amusing and sadly possibly useful. It's random output is strangely familiar, having spent just a small part of my working life in higher education research funding.

Perhaps for many people, the best English they will write would have been when they were about 11, before they learn too many 'big words'.  By age 18  ...........!

Kind regards, hope that is of use

David