canberrabirds

Geological mapping

To: COG List <>
Subject: Geological mapping
From: Martin Butterfield <>
Date: Fri, 27 Mar 2015 17:21:09 +1100
From time to time I have conversed with members of this list  about the geology of the area.  They may be interested in the site refered to in the following message to our local residents.

Martin Butterfield

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Martin Butterfield <>
Date: 27 March 2015 at 17:08
Subject: Matters Whiskers and general geology
To: "m("lists.ozlabs.org","Carwoola-Residents");">" <m("lists.ozlabs.org","carwoola-residents");">>

Ever since we have moved here I have wondered about the name Whiskers Creek.  We have recently done a U3A Geology Course in which I came across the name Whiskers Fault applying to a structure which start just West of Bungendore and runs to somewhere a tad South of our place.

This stimulated me to make further enquiries which revealed that Whiskers was the surname of the Surveyor who originally dealt with this area.  I also found out that there was a Canberra 1:250k Geological map and a fellow student on the U3A course showed me a copy, with the Fault clearly marked.  On Googling I found this site which allowed me, for a very good price (ie $0.00) to down load a georeferenced version of the map that goes straight on to my manifestation of Google Earth. So I now know where the Fault runs - a bit further from our house than I thought.

That map may be of general interest to residents.  Of course I offer no warranty about the site or its content but it seems official and inoffensive.