canberrabirds

Forde Creek Update

To: chatline <>
Subject: Forde Creek Update
From: John Harris <>
Date: Wed, 25 Feb 2015 03:16:17 +0000
Hi All
 Julie and I are a well on the way to completing our paper on the development of Buff-banded Rail chicks which Michael Lenz has encouraged us to write for CBN. The article is based on the second of the three Forde Creek broods. While I saw them and noted their development on a number of occasions, Julie was very assiduous and managed to photograph them almost every day for 7 weeks. Our paper is based on Julie’s careful observations and excellent photographic record. It is already evident that Julie has made a real contribution to our understanding of BB Rail development. To give just one example, the literature, including HANZAB, repeats the observation that BBRails reach adult size at 3 weeks.  Our literature research reveals a single source for this, some chicks hand raised in New Zealand in about 1983.  The Forde Creek BB Rail chicks did not reach adult size until about the 42nd day – ie 6 weeks.  Julie’s photographs totally validate our naked-eye observations on this matter. We will also be able to comment on stages in the deveopment of juvenile feathers and on some aspects of behaviour.