canberrabirds

Gang-gangs

To: Suzanne EDGAR <>
Subject: Gang-gangs
From: Megan Mears <>
Date: Tue, 24 Feb 2015 19:53:25 +1100
This is a good GG sighting, though out of COG's area of interest.

(24 at Lithgow)

Megan

On Sat, Feb 21, 2015 at 5:06 PM, Suzanne EDGAR <m("internode.on.net","sedgar");" target="_blank">> wrote:

Oh dear! John Leonard, Exactly the same thing has happened here in lower Garran; they have recently been all over the pistacia trees @ the shopping centre, quite unperturbed by a horde of schl chn below them, in touching distance, when feeding on these trees. But none in my back yard to record on my muster sheet.

Sz

Rocky Knob is temporarily a suburban HQ.  I hear them continually throughout the day, biggest concentration 0645-0715.  The distribution is patchy.  I just walked to Elizabeth’s (Wells Gardens) and back without seeing or hearing one GG.  In between there is still plenty of C pistacia in seed even as the trees begin to turn the reddish colour that makes it a popular planting – some trees partly ransacked, some not at all.  No attacks on the hawthorn as yet.  African Boxthorn in favour with several species.  For some reason the urban parks people (who periodically try to remove the Celtis) do not address themselves to this pest.  Too spiky?  To the advantage of the birds, anyway

cid:<script language=m("01D04DDD.9068E8D0","image001.jpg");">