canberrabirds

Callum Brae zoo corner

To: <>
Subject: Callum Brae zoo corner
From: "Margaret Leggoe" <>
Date: Fri, 20 Feb 2015 12:37:17 +1100

Further to my email of 15th Jan concerning Zoo Corner on Callum Brae, I can confirm the “zitting” noise I heard was a striated thornbill.

Thus, I can add to the list of birds in that corner, having today seen:

Striated thornbill

White winged triller (juveniles I think, but feeding themselves),

Red-rumped parrots (many)

Willie wagtail

Grey fantail

Sacred kingfisher

Grey butcherbird

Black-faced cuckoo-shrike

Noisy friarbird

Red wattlebird

Kookaburra

Striated pardalotes (family of 5 or more)

Most of the usual Psittacines.  The corellas are still occupying the tree hollow across the fence in the zoo.

The original list in my previous email consisted of
White-throated gerygone,

Weebill,

Grey fantail

Superb fairy-wren,

Yellow-rumped thornbill.

It is rather nice when you get so many little birds in one small area, especially one that is easily accessible.

Sadly, the main object of my interest, speckled warbler, was conspicuous by its absence.  I doesn’t seem to have returned since the zoo grounds were cleared.

Margaret Leggoe