canberrabirds

young Koels

To: "Stuart Rae" <>, "canberra birds" <>
Subject: young Koels
From: "Jack & Andrea Holland" <>
Date: Thu, 5 Feb 2015 13:23:25 +1100
Very interesting, and some great photos Stuart.  The difference in colours between the young and older fledglings is quite impressive – the five I’ve seen locally this year and last were obviously older ones.  Despite this the one first seen on 20 January 2015 was still sitting quietly sunning itself this morning in the same exotic tree I found it in, though it did move a bit and give a few calls after a while.  I thought the second one had gone yesterday, but I found it a few houses along this morning.

Given the closeness of two of the fledglings in Rivett/Chapman both last and this year, I’ve been wondering too whether the same female had laid the eggs.  Certainly I’ve never seen or heard more than 1 male in the area this year, but based on the calls the males do seem to be pretty mobile some times, and there could well be two or more.  It still is calling pretty regularly mostly around 7 am, and my experience is that there will still be some calling until they leave at the end of February/early March.  You might have seen my previous comments on this chat line and in my Gang-gang column about possible interaction of adult cuckoos with fledglings.

Regards

Jack Holland