canberrabirds

Satin Bowerbirds

To: "Birds Canberra" <>
Subject: Satin Bowerbirds
From: "Jack & Andrea Holland" <>
Date: Wed, 4 Feb 2015 14:14:46 +1100
Hello Ian, in 2000 Philip Veerman and I wrote an article for CBN [25(2), pp59-71] in which we traced the spread of the Satin Bowerbird into Canberra suburbs.  In my update, CBN 28(3), pp87-95 (2003), I note first records for Cook and Aranda during 2002.  Previous to that most north of the lake SBB records had been from Mt Rogers/Fraser//Melba.

Both of these papers should be accessible through the COG web site.  While I haven’t kept detailed records since then, my recall is that they continued to slowly spread through Belconnen, and I would expect that they now have been recorded in most suburbs, though possibly in low numbers.

You might like to check if some of the young birds were begging quietly or being fed (they’re often pretty coy about the latter), or have yellow gapes (as one had in my GBS site in Chapman yesterday).  This would signify breeding relatively close by, which would be an important record for Belconnen, about now is the peak time for fledglings in Canberra.

Regards

Jack Holland