canberrabirds

Varied Sitellas

To: COG List <>
Subject: Varied Sitellas
From: Martin Butterfield <>
Date: Tue, 3 Feb 2015 13:29:03 +1100
On my way home from seeing a mere 85 Plumed Whistling Ducks on the edge of Bungendore (not that I'm jealous of DMcD for getting over 100) I swung in to the 6 Mile TSR on Bungendore Rd.  Any thought I might have been having about migrants departing were erased quite quickly: Leaden Flycatcher, Tree Martin, Dusky Woodswallow (fledglings), Sacred Kingfisher and White-throated Gerygone were all present.

The highlight was a small flock of Varied Sitellas.  While 3 of them appeared adult and were doing the Sitella thing gleaning trunks for insects 2 were very small and noisy sitting on a branch.  Eventually their squeaking was rewarded when a gleaner rammed some food in their mouths.  I couldn't spot a remnant nest but suggest it was very close.