canberrabirds

Fwd: Silvereye fledgling

Subject: Fwd: Silvereye fledgling
From: Nathanael Coyne <>
Date: Fri, 9 Jan 2015 14:17:00 +1100
Thought some might be interested in a close-up of birds that you don't normally get when observing them in the wild through binoculars or telephoto lenses.

I'm not good with identifying young birds but the member of the public who reported this to ACT Wildlife (who I'm a volunteer carer with) is confident it's a Silvereye.

It weighed just 8 grams this morning and is now quite happily sitting in a box on my desk at work covered with a heat mat and chirping for a feed several times an hour. It has managed to jump out a few times and fly short distances, perches strongly with good balance.

Sadly its siblings were killed by a cat; I don't know what happened to the adults.

Inline images 1

Nathanael Coyne